Rain Gutters...

Maintenance of the body of the camper
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Rain Gutters...

Post by Alaskan »

Couple locations on our vans where catching water run-off from the top might be of interest, above the side door and above the side window...where water can either run down your neck or drip into the van if the window is open.

The material can be purchased at any RV supply, I got this at Camping World. Comes in white with a very good 3M adhesive already installed on the back.

I cut the pieces to fit, rounded the corners slightly...used Scotch-Brite to take off the gloss and gently wiped them with liquor thinner.

I placed them 7 inches down from the center of the blue stripe, to the top of the gutter material.

I found the only way to install them on straight was to tape a yard stick on the fiberglass to use as a straight edge, then place the plastic material up against the bottom of the yard stick carefully, a few inches at a time, pull back the protective covering on the adhesive just a few inches to a time also rather then removing it all at once....prior to that be sure to gently wipe below the yard stick with liquor thinner on the fiberglass to be sure its clean

Once in place I used a rubber hammer and a small block of wood to slide along and gently tap it to make sure the adhesive was well attached.

The adhesive is just thick enough to allow paper to be slid in around the total perimeter of the now-installed gutter material in preparation for painting.

I used a Krylon dark gray primer (51318) for color and then put Krylon Clear Acrylic over it (1301)...having never found a silver paint I liked, and the contrasting color looks ok

Side Door...

Over side window...

skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

That's a good idea! Looks good, too.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Rain Gutters...

Post by Wakeslayer »

I am consistently amazed by the depth of info on this site. I have been searching for this exact thing for our Bus the last day or so. What I found was either insanely expensive and or required being screwed to the exterior.

Thanks again!

I sure wish they still carried the gray...
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

We cover everything...!

AND....it wasn't gray...I painted it !
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

Yep, I saw that in your post. But if you look at the package, they have four color options at some point in time. I plan on painting mine if the color is too bright.
Noting that you appear to have had the same rust damage above your left side window as ours has...
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

I scuffed it with Scotch Bright....that color was a dark gray primer, and then I sprayed it with clear.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

Would this have worked just as well placed just under the blue stripe, using that as a guide? I'm thinking it might prevent water streaking down the side just as well while not being quite as visable.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Sure would....

Some of that streaking can be greatly reduced by a real good scrubbing on top of the rig....the gel coat on these rigs, especially
on top and rigs that have spent a lotta time outside in the sun, seems to oxidize quite a lot and that results in the white streaking all around the rig.

You would notice quite a difference in color on top due to that break-down of the gel coat in the fiberglass...
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

I still have not got around to my winter projects... which include installing my gutters. Of course, being in the hellhole that is MN right now, it is still winter... another 6-8" tonight. <sigh>

Anyway, has anyone wetsanded the top cap of these rigs? I assume it is the same process as gelcoat on a boat. Curious about the thickness of the gel and if it would withstand a good wetsand/buff job. I would not get to this for a year or two, but would like to try it.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

nope....ain't done that

sunny & warm here.... :mrgreen:
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Wakeslayer wrote:I still have not got around to my winter projects... which include installing my gutters. Of course, being in the hellhole that is MN right now, it is still winter... another 6-8" tonight. <sigh>
A friend of mine in this area is from Minnesota. She doesn't miss the weather, that's for sure. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

hopefully, this is my last MN winter. I envy your friend Skater... This is absolute BS....

Disgusted in MN
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

I was searching for other information and came across this thread and found it very informative. The B190 I'm working on for my sister-in-law certainly has the issue of dripping on your head over the doors. This may be the solution to the problem. Thanks for posting the pictures.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

I did install the gutters on my rig just under the blue stripe..it's barely visable at this location.
I installed another over the couch window on the opposite side and it helps considersbly.
I've ordered another couple of yards to install above the small windows on top. Mine has
weathered heat and cold and is as good as new. This product will not only help with drips along the door
but also will keep water out of the window tracks somewhat.