Streaks on body side from roof runoff

Maintenance of the body of the camper
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Streaks on body side from roof runoff

Post by Planck »

On both of my 190s(91 & 93) whenever it rains I get streaks on the windows and paint from water on the roof mixing with possibly chalky paint/fiberglass. Any of the rest of you have this problem and how have you solved it? Most of the article I read in the camping magazines all related to rubber roofs.

Phil
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Re: Srteaks on body side from roof runoff

Post by craigmar »

I thought I was the only one that had that problem. I think the gutter material that Alaskan has posted is the answer to the problem.
URStruly
Weekend Camper

Post by URStruly »

I have the chalky runoff on my B190. It appears to be the fiber glass chalking up. I have bought some fiberglass cleaner and wax. I plan to give it a good wax job. Hopefully it will seal the fiberglass and stop the chalking and thus the run off. I will let you know the results.URS.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

URS
So the visible part of the fiberglass was painted by the factory but not the top? Or, maybe all of the fiberglass was painted and the top paint has just worn off with time? Curious to know how the wax turns out. I am hoping for something more permanent, as I can't phatom having to wax the roof every 6-12 months. But, may be a good solution.

Phil
Eamonn McG
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by Eamonn McG »

This happens on my 92 every time it rains. I think it's because the fiberglass
Roof is in need of some repair. I was thinking about getting it clear coated but that's exx pensive and it isnt yet at the point where it NEEDS it done. Let me know how the wax works out. Good luck
Jonny
Weekend Camper

Post by Jonny »

I had the same problem. Some 409 a garden hose and a scrub brush did the trick.

I don't think its the fiberglass, just a ton of old road grime. My streaks are gone since the cleaning. It was really nasty up there.

I plan to paint the roof with commercial roof paint too. It drys to like a thick plastic finish. Some homework to decide what primer to use first and then I'll dive in.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Thanks for all the ideas. Jonny, I like the 409 garden hose method. Got to be a lot of dirt up there. Will report back.

Phil
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Re: Streaks on body side from roof runoff

Post by Alaskan »

yep...thats a known issue. Oxidization of the gel coat. The color is in the gel coat as it is not paint.

Takes a good scrubbing of the roof occasionally to reduce that....
Eamonn McG
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by Eamonn McG »

How do you guys clean the roof? Is it safe to put your body weight on it? I'm always afraid to really put too much weight on it but i cant ever reach the middle parts with enough force to scrub em.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

well....thats a leading question. Depends on your body weight...?

I've been all over the tops of all my B190's and its perfectly safe. I use car-wash soap and a hand-held scrub brush.

If the oxidization sediment is real heavy up there use the product called "Soft Scrub" , again with a hand-held scrub brush

Its been my experience that you're gonna find the oxidization (chalky residue) begins a couple inches in from the edges pretty much all the way around the roof...
URStruly
Weekend Camper

Post by URStruly »

I used a mop and car wash soap to clean the roof of my B190. Then used a sponge and put a heavy coat of fiberglass wax on the top. Did light buffing with a towel. About 3 hrs work. I now have a good slick finish on it. I hope it will last 6 months but expect 3 is about all I will get. Roofs on all RV are a weak point and need at least semi-annual inspection and repair. If a quarterly inspection, repair and waxing will keep it in good repair I think it will be a good investment in time and elbow grease. Will try to monitor on a monthly basis and report on how it is holding out.urs.
URStruly
Weekend Camper

Post by URStruly »

It has now been six(6) months since I waxed the top of the B190 to stop streaks down the side. It is now beginning to streak again. Looks as if waxing the top 3 times a year should take care of the problem.urs.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks for the update....
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Well I have a foot of snow on my roof. No streaks, and no way to wax 3 time a year. Probably this spring and late fall for me.
URStruly
Weekend Camper

Post by URStruly »

You're kidding. We never get more than 2" snow and this year it was 1/10" gone in an hour. You need to get a new ruler.URS.