Streaks on body side from roof runoff

Maintenance of the body of the camper
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Re: Streaks on body side from roof runoff

Post by Alaskan »

Thats a good reason to load up and head to warmer places in the winters.... ! :mrgreen:
Eamonn McG
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by Eamonn McG »

It's been a long time since I've read this thread glad i got back to it as the streaking is getting worse on mine. I'm 6'6" and weigh in around 220-225 thats why I was wondering about standing on the roof. I may need to send my kid brother up there. lol. Also, what kind of wax are you guys using? I thought I read it in another thread somewhere but cant find it. I want to wax it this spring and throw thos rain gutters on.
URStruly
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by URStruly »

I used Gel Gloss Multi-surface cleaner and polish. If the roof has not been damaged so that it is weakened it should be strong enough to handle your weight. My son is 6' 6" and weighs 220. He goes up on mine. When I cleaned mine I climbed a ladder and cleaned and waxed from the side of the RV. My grandson cleaned and waxed the top in places it was hard for me reach.URStruly.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Only used the B190 3 days so far this year due to other commitments, but hope to get a lot of use this fall. I set up one of those extendable step ladders(the taller one) next to the camper yesterday as it is very stable and tall enough to look down on the roof without being near the top rungs. Took my pressure washer to the roof, and was it ever dirty. But the pressure washer did a great job of removing probably many years worth of accumulation. Today I climbed up the rear ladder and put a coat of fiberglass wax on the complete roof. Did not take too long to do that. Looks like the roof may have been originally painted white, as a few of the more protected areas still had a little white left on them. We are going on a 3 day outing this weekend, and the first day is forecast for rain, so will be a good chance to see if it still streaks. I too am going to investigate putting some type of better sealer/protection on the fiberglass than just wax. If any of you have already done this will be glad to read about how.
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

I too am trying to eliminate the gray streaks down the side of the van and on the windows. A few weeks ago I washed the van for the first time since we've owned it (bought it about two-three months ago). I quickly realized the top is in worse condition than I realized.

The color of the roof is consistent but the finish (gel coat?) is completely worn/faded/oxidized. I didn't realize how bad it was until I was up on the roof using a gel coat cleaner. On our roof there is a sheet metal divider/cowl between the refrigerator roof vent and the air conditioner. I guess the cowl reduces the chance of exhaust gasses from the frig being directed toward the air conditioner. Under this cowl the roof has not been exposed to sun and in general has been exposed to less weather. The roof looks wonderful under that cowl! Very shiny - just like you'd expect fiberglass to look.

Two weeks ago I used the gel coat cleaner. It has an abrasive quality so I did not use it on the decals. Some gray color was removed (I saw evidence on the towels I was using) so I hoped that was the oxidized layer. Well... the top does not look any better after using the gel coat cleaner. Today I applied wax hoping to at least create some sort of shine on the fiberglass. Nothing doing. The wax almost seemed like it was absorbed into the fiberglass. After I let the wax dry and came back to buff it off with a towel there was very little, if any, wax residue on the towel. I used product called Zaino since I used this on my other vehicles and it's suitable for fiberglass too.

It's discouraging to have put several hours into this and I don't see any noticeable difference. Granted, water runs quickly off the roof now and beads quickly because of the wax but it does not look good. Not that it looks bad, it just doesn't look good.

Hopefully this reduces the gray streaks for a time.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

I use Meguiar's 49 Marine/RV Oxidation Remover heavy duty cleaner on the top. Have to use lots and work it in for a while, avoiding decals, then follow with buffer. It doesn't look new, but grey streaks are significantly diminished and the fiberglass is somewhat shiny after treatment. It's not nearly as gratifying as carnauba waxing the silver van body, which is coated some amazing good-looking 20-year-old paint.

Let us know if you come up with a good solution short of painting.
Keystone
B190 4x4
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

I've found that you need to wax two or three times initially, then once a year should do it. It's tough to get a shine, but maybe a sheen!