Removing Generator

2800 MicroLite by Onan
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Removing Generator

Post by reday »

Alaskan has some very good tips and pictures on removing the Onan 2800 in the thread:

Onan Microlite Fuel Pump.....

He posts as follows:

"Removing the generator involves disconnecting the exhaust pipe and dropping it down to start with, next you'll find that your generator has a couple bolts holding it down, either inside the enclosure or up from the bottom, Airstream did that 2 ways. (Mine was bolt through from underneath - reday)

Once you have removed those fasteners you can slide the generator out far enough to disconnect the fuel line, a small electrical plug, a 12 volt positive cable and the 110 volt output lines.

Sliding the generator straight onto a pair of stacked milk crates works pretty well as they are near the right height... "

I would like to add the following:

This is a very tight vertical fit. You need to tilt the front up, lift and slide the unit forward. Mine came out 4-6 inches and would come no further. There are bolts, protuberances, whatever that it will hang up on. I could not get it any further until I slid two plastic strips about 1.5 in wide by 18 long and .25 thick. I put these under what I could see as the lowest point on the bottom of the generator and resting them on the opening lip. By doing this, I was able to then lift and slide out over whatever I had previously been hanging up on easily.

I am going to assume that this will also help me on getting it back in by reversing the procedure. I will determine that when I get whatever new parts are needed to get the generator up and running again.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>